Tuesday, February 27, 2007


Day 4 on the mountain in Crans-Montana, Switzerland. After a full day spent skiing in a snow storm yesterday, we were treated to a clear sky this morning with an intensely white and bright set of slopes.

First, a correction to my previous entry, the boys were not with their girl friends. In fact, there was only one girl and they only kind of knew her, and she was with someone else. It turns out our detective work was not so good, despite the disguises as middle-aged men drinking beer while pretending to be hip euro-apres-ski-dudes, Gunther and I were spotted as merely nosey parents and were led down a trail the went as cold as the falling snow outside. The topic of the opposite sex continues to be verboten and we are no closer to knowing the truth than when we started.

Back to the skiing, it was again a full day in 4 hours, starting at 10am and ending by 2pm with the legs screaming for a break and foregoing a lunch stop. Early on, I got stranded on the opposite side of the mountain from Gunther after he missed a couple of turns behind me. Then the only lift that connects the two areas broke down, so I skied on my own until I could go no more. After the connecting lift started working again, I made my way back to home base, to find Gunther exhausted as well, and ready for a cold beer.


No comments: